Getting Employer Support to Attend
We understand times are tough and budget challenges are a major consideration for most organizations and businesses. So we have provided some tools that can help your employer see the value AND return on their investment for committing crucial resources.
Participating in the 2011 Society of American Foresters National Convention will NOT be a vacation. With more than 200 sessions and 30 CFE credits available, you won't have time to hit the beach. Not only will there be unique technical field tours where you can see some of the 175 native tree species but you can also participate in programs such as these:
- Innovative forest management so that forests can continue to be a fundamental source of global health and human welfare
- Regional insight into new global models for sustaining forests to meet environmental, economic, and community needs
- Integrating traditional culture and knowledge with modern science to meet the challenges of a changing global climate and economy
- Bridging the gap between science and decisionmaking
- Providing a synthesis of current knowledge in the context of topical areas
- Reports on Carbon Offsets and Use of Forest Biomass Task Force
- Federal Lands Management Forum
- Geospatial Applications Workshops
The field of forestry is changing with new technology and ground-breaking research. And these changes can drastically impact your daily work - especially as we live in a more globalized world. This is your chance and your employers chance to take advantage of this global knowledge and apply it on a local level.
Calculating the ROI for your attendance
- Outline specific events or sessions you want to attend and why.
- Mention specific take-a-ways that you can apply to projects or programs.
- Recommend that you deliver a presentation and sample materials to coworkers about what you learned.
- Offer to attend specific sessions for those who cannot participate.
- Provide a plan for who will cover for you while attending the Convention.
- Suggest sharing a room to reduce lodging expenses.
- Use the Convention website and the Advance Brochure as supporting material
- Reference the discounted flights, lodging, and rental car resources available on the Convention website.
We suggest this outline
to help justify your participation.
Employer justification memo
Use this sample memo
to make an official request to attend.