Presidential Field Forester Awards
The purpose of the Presidential Field Foresters Awards is to recognize foresters who have dedicated their professional careers to the application of forestry on the ground using sound, scientific methods and adaptive management strategies. The awards will be presented to individuals who have displayed uncommon talent, skill, and innovative methods to achieve a record of excellence in the application of forest management.
To nominate an individual for a Presidential Field Forester award, download the Nomination Form, and send, along with your letter of nomination, to your district board representative . Nominations are due by March 15. Please contact Lori Rasor
with any questions.
Due to regional differences in both application intensity and regulations affecting forestry operations, the award recipients will be selected on a regional basis. Using the existing organizational structure, each SAF Board member is asked to select and/or endorse an outstanding field forester from the District they represent. The Board member can use the state society chairs to nominate candidates and from those nominations select a nominee for recognition, or use any other process that would select a worthy candidate based on the selection criteria.
- Must be a member of SAF.
- Must have practiced forestry for at least 15 years.
- Major portion of career must be in field application of forestry.
- Must be recognized locally or regionally by peers for excellence in field application of forestry.
- Understands the forest and uses science along with the adaptive management process to achieve landowner objectives and insure forest sustainability.
- Management intensity may range from very intensive applications to more extensive management regimes.
- May be from any employment sector.
Individuals recognized for the Field Forester Achievement Award will be announced and recognized at the SAF National Convention.