SAF Award in Forest Science
This award recognizes distinguished individual research in any branch of the quantitative, economic, managerial, and/or social sciences that has resulted in substantial advances in forestry. The award includes a $1,000 honorarium, one complimentary SAF convention registration, and up to $500 to offset travel expenses. The award is presented at the SAF national convention.
Nominees need not be members of SAF. While the award will not be made posthumously, it may be made to either employed or retired nominees and regardless of the age or seniority of the individual. Nominees shall not have won any other SAF national science awards within five years of this nomination.
Evaluation will be based on meeting the following criteria:
Nominees shall be acknowledged leaders in their discipline who have demonstrated initiative in addressing relevant scientific questions. Evidence of ability to organize symposiums and workshops and provide technology transfer to practitioners and researchers is also required.
Nominees shall have a substantial history of publications in peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and technical proceedings. Evidence of the ability to acquire substantive research funding from a variety of sources is required.
Nominees' work shall be of the highest quality and strictly adhere to professional standards.
Nominees shall have a history of innovative approaches to research and shall have used a variety of research methodologies appropriate to their discipline.
Nominees’ work shall have significantly affected the course of subsequent research or the practice of forestry or associated activities. Their research must have resulted in a clear advancement in forestry.
Beyond merely being distinguished, nominees’ research must be relevant both nationally and internationally.
Your nomination packet must include:
• Completed nomination form.
• A letter from the nominator demonstrating that the nominee meets the award criteria. Each of the criterion must be addressed separately in a brief paragraph.
• Curriculum vitae of nominee consisting of: name, address, present title or position, education, academic degrees, major positions held, membership in scientific and professional societies, and lists of publications, honors, awards, and technology transfer activities.
• At least two letters of endorsement from peers on the nominee’s achievements with the award criteria.
• Recent, digital headshot photograph of a minimum 300 dpi.