SAF gratefully accepts gifts of stock as an alternative to cash donations. Donations of appreciated stock offer some of the largest tax saving to donors, generally allowing you to avoid capital gains tax and deducting the current full market value of the stock. Additionally, due to the discretionary nature of stocks, donors are often able to make larger gifts with greater impact when donating stock.
How It Works
SAF uses a platform called DonateStock, whose mission is to make stock donations fast, easy, and secure for donors and nonprofits alike.
- Navigate to SAF’s DonateStock page and click Donate Now.
- Submit the online donation form with your brokerage and donation details. Don’t forget to reference the fund to which you are donating in the notes section (Foresters Fund, Gregory Award Fund, Mollie Beattie Fund, Kurt Gottschalk Science Fund, General Fund, #forestproud).
- DonateStock will send the form to your broker to initiate the stock transfer.
- Your broker will transfer the stock to Donatestock Charitable, Inc.
- Donatestock Charitable, Inc. will sell the stock and the proceeds will be disbursed to SAF.
- You will receive a receipt for the gift from Donatestock Charitable, Inc., and and acknowledgement from SAF.
We are excited to offer this new way to give to SAF. Thank you for considering a gift of stock. For any questions, please reach out any time to [email protected].
SAF does not offer tax, financial planning, or legal advice. All content on this webpage is for informational purposes only.